If you run an ecommerce store and have physical products that you need to ship, you are going to need a reliable shipping solution that can print shipping labels right from your home or office. Or, maybe you need a more convenient way of shipping your packages to your customers without the hassle of waiting in long lines at the post office. Whatever the reason may be, a lot of us turn to Stamps.com. After using Stamps.com for four to five years, here is my Stamps.com review to help you determine if the service is for you.
What is Stamps.com?
Stamps.com is an internet postage and label printing service that is for anyone that needs to ship multiple packages per week via the United States Postal Service. PayPal shipping has a lot of limitations, and that is why a service such as Stamps.com is an excellent choice for sellers selling on eBay, Etsy, Amazon, and online stores.
The biggest advantage of using Stamps.com is increased convenience because you no longer need to wait in long lines at the post office. This is a huge time saver, especially during the holiday season when it is busy.
Is Stamps.com a scam?
Before I posted this Stamps.com review, this is the common question that I received via email. If you do a quick Google search for “Stamps.com Review,” you will find a lot of negative reviews. I do not know why that is the case.
Despite what you may have read or heard, Stamps.com is not a scam. I know because I still use Stamps.com to ship all my packages. In order to avoid misunderstandings, it is important to note the following things about Stamps.com:
- If you do not cancel Stamps.com after the free trial ends, you are charged the monthly fee.
- com will automatically charge your credit card every month until you cancel.
- Other than the initial bonus offer, you do not get any free postage. You pay the monthly fee to use Stamps.com only.
Not knowing the above misconceptions leads to customers posting negative and inaccurate reviews about Stamps.com. Here is what actual Stamps.com customers are saying about the service:
Stamps.com monthly fee
Stamps.com offers three plans – Pro, Premier, and Enterprise. Here is a brief overview of the available plans:
- Pro – $15.99 a month. One user can use Stamps.com at a single location.
- Premier – $24.99 a month. Three users can use Stamps.com at a single location.
- Enterprise – Custom price to suit your business needs. It is ideal for large companies as over three users can use Stamps.com at multiple locations.
Stamps.com offers a 4-week free trial to all new members that you can try for free here. After you sign up for the free trial, Stamps.com sends you a welcome kit with freebies by mail.
How do I print shipping labels?
You can print shipping labels via the Stamps.com web account and using the free desktop software. Personally, I use the desktop software because it is fast and convenient to access. The web account is good, but it lacks certain functionalities that the desktop software offers. For instance, printing labels via the web account is time consuming and similar to PayPal shipping. In addition, the process is buggy at times.
Here is how the web account looks like:
Here is how the desktop software looks like:
The best part is that the shipping address can be pasted into the “ship to address” field, which eliminates common spelling errors and saves a lot of time. Also, Stamps.com automatically validates each shipping address that is entered and stores the information into your address book for future use. Furthermore, you can send domestic mail via all USPS shipping methods such as First Class Mail, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, Media Mail, and Parcel Select Ground Mail. Some of these have weight restrictions so it depends on the weight of your shipment. You can also print labels for international shipments.
Whether you print labels on standard printing paper or 4” x 6” shipping label, the label is going to look something like this:
Shipping and insurance discounts
Stamps.com offers commercial shipping and insurance rates. Commercial rates are discounted up to 56% compared to the rates at your local postal office. The discounts vary by shipping class:
- Domestic discounts range from 22% to 56%.
- International discounts range from 18% to 20%.
- Up to 40% discount on package insurance.
I use Stamps.com on a regular basis, and this is what I found to be the best features of using the services:
- The option to hide shipping fees and add custom messages on labels.
- The option to print both domestic and international labels.
- The ability to create batch order shipments and print SCAN forms.
- The ability to create return shipping labels and email tracking information directly to customers via email.
- You can import orders from major ecommerce platforms such as BigCommerce and Shopify.
For an in-depth look at the available features, visit their website http://www.stamps.com.
Whether you sell products on eBay or your own online store, this is one feature that you will find very useful. Stamps.com offers a simple process for importing orders from multiple venues. You can import orders automatically with a single click. Here are some of the platforms that are supported by Stamps.com:
Also, you can integrate with other order management platforms. Personally, I love their importing options because it saves me a lot of time that I use on other aspects of my business.
What printers and labels work with Stamps.com?
Stamps.com does not have a restriction on the type of printer you can use with their service. You can use a basic printer and standard printing papers to print labels. However, to get the best results and save money, I recommend using one of the printers listed below.
I started off using a DYMO Label Printer and then switched to a Zebra Thermal Printer. Both printers do not use ink so this alone can save you hundreds of dollars every year. I bought both of the printers on Amazon and got a good deal. I included a link to both printers and corresponding labels:
Alternatively, you can buy a basic printer on Amazon as well.
Can I cancel Stamps.com?
You can cancel your membership at any time. You can cancel your account by calling their customer support team at 1.888.434.0055. The support department is available Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you cancel before your free trial ends, your credit card will not be charged the monthly fee.
When cancelling your account, try to be firm and let them know that you want to cancel. They will try to convince you to stay. They will try to extend your free trial period and offer you cheaper plans. The best thing to tell them is that all you want to do is cancel your account immediately.
If you have any funds left in your Stamps.com account, you will receive a paper check in the mail with all of your unused funds.
The support team is available Monday to Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Pacific Standard Time via phone and email. You can reach their phone support by calling the following toll-free number: 1.855.889.7867.
The software is user-friendly so you should not have a problem learning how to use it. In the event that you get stuck on something, they have multiple resources that you can use. The only time their customer support tends performs poorly is during the cancellation process.
- com offers the convenience of printing labels and shipping packages.
- You get discounted shipping and insurance rates.
- You can schedule a free carrier pickup right from the software.
- You have the option to complete all of the forms electronically (custom forms, insurance forms, etc.).
- You can import orders from your eBay and Amazon account.
- com validates every address that is entered.
- You can track all of your shipped packages at one centralized location.
- If you cancel the service and need access to your shipping records at a later time, you will find that this is not possible. After you cancel your Stamps.com account, you lose access to your account and all of your shipping records. However, you will be able to export all of your records before cancelling your account.
- The desktop software is not compatible with Mac users. Mac users can use the web version of Stamps.com.
- You have to pay a monthly service fee to print shipping labels.
If, for some reason, you need a Stamps.com alternative, you can use one of the following services:
Price: $9.95 a month
- Built-in address verification for all shipments.
- You can send a return label to your customers without pre-paying the postage until the customer uses it.
- Auto-refund service for unused shipping labels.
- You can add a custom logo to your shipping labels.
Free Trial: 30 days
Price: $29 a month
Shipments: 600 a month
- You can ship via USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- You have the option to print custom packing slips for each shipment.
- You can download and then import orders from anywhere.
- The software automatically syncs the tracking information on your store.
- You can compare hundreds of shipping rates at once.
Free Trial: 30 days
Stamps.com Review – Is Stamps.com worth it?
If you are running an online business and need a reliable service to ship your packages, Stamps.com is an excellent shipping solution to consider. While there are other online shipping solutions available in the market right now, Stamps.com is my favorite. The $15.99 a month fee quickly pays for itself. You do not need to visit a post office and wait in long lines ever again. You can schedule free carrier pickup at your home or office.
However, if you send a few packages per week or plan on using different shipping carriers, Stamps.com may not be worth it for you. In conclusion, you need to determine whether or not Stamps.com is worth it for you.